of the prison
The former "Royal Central Prison Cottbus" was used as a place of detention for 142 years. During the National Socialist reign of terror and the SED dictatorship, numerous political opponents were imprisoned here.
1855 – 1930
Construction of the prison
01. April 1860
Opening of the "Royal Central Prison Cottbus"
1930 – 1937
January 1937 – July 1937
August 1937 – January 1939
January 1939 – April 1945
15. February 1945
Destruction of the prison at the end of the Second World War
Reopened as a municipal prison
Taken over by the Ministry of the Interior of the GDR
1960 – 1990
After the Wall was built
Cottbus production plant of VEB Pentacon Dresden on the grounds of the prison
MENSCHENRECHTSZENTRUM COTTBUS E.V.
Cottbus from outside at the time of the GDR, 1984
1961 – 1990
Prison and remand centre at the same time
1990 – 2002
Prison of the State of Brandenburg
2002 – 2007
Sale of the site to a private investor
Purchase of the prison site by the Menschenrechtszentrum Cottbus e.V. and opening of the memorial site
Listed as a historical monument
Since November 2021
Also a branch of the Stasi documents archive (under construction).
Menschenrechtszentrum Cottbus e.V. | Bautzener Straße 140 | 03050 Cottbus | Free parking spaces
Information and reservations:
Tue. - Fri.
10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Sat. + Son.
1 p.m. to 6 p.m.
Admission until one hour before closing time.
Closed on public holidays.